Friday, August 31, 2012

What to expect from foster kids: straight from my biological kids mouths. (part 1)

As I was clicking around the internet world, I happened upon a blog with an article titled

Adding Foster Children to Your Family: How Will Your Kids Take It?  


It posed a young woman this question : What was it like growing up with foster siblings in your home?”

It was a beautiful and well written article and it got me thinking.  What do my kids think?  So I asked my teenagers.  Now, I am not a wonderful author and my kids are in the middle of teenagerhood. So don't expect much from us.  

My 2 oldest have been foster sisters to 82 kids.  Well, 83 if you count the girl who stayed for 3 hours but they found a grandma that could take her.  I didn't write her name down, so I don't normally count her.  I guess that case was more like I was babysitting.  Anyway, back to my story.  I asked my 14 year old first.  She just said she was glad we did foster care because we were able to help kids.  I said, "really, that's all you've got?"  And she said, "Mom, I want to be a foster mom and adopt and be a social worker when I grow up, so yeah, it was a good thing. I am glad we did it".  Then I turn to my 13 year old and she said "ditto." 

So, I'm not quite so eloquent with words, bout bio kids do fine having other kids come in to their home.  Kids enjoy helping and sharing if given a chance.  We were careful to not let taking in foster kids affect our families routines too much.  For instance, if I had a child in care and school programs, everyone goes.  We don't use foster care as an excuse.  We just haul everyone with us.  You just have to have a go with the flow attitude.

P.S.  I titled this post with a part 1 because I want to ask my other kids what they think.  Also, I believe that after my girls read this, they might want to add or just not speak to me, but whatever.

P.P.S.  The original, got me thinking article is here.   http://foster2forever.com/2012/03/adding-foster-children.html

No comments:

Post a Comment